Let Us Help You When Behavioral Health Care is Needed for Your Patients
Primary care settings are increasingly the first line of identification for behavioral health (BH) issues, especially for depression. As your patients’ primary medical practitioner, you already know the large number of patients who present with both physical and behavioral health disorders. Beacon Heath Options supports PCPs as the locus of treatment for a wide variety of BH diagnoses. To that end, we offer you this toolkit to help you with identification of BH conditions, as well as next steps in treatment of BH conditions. We are committed to leading the integration of medical and BH services with the goal of improved patient outcomes.
We recognize that more than one provider may contribute to the care of your patients. We strongly encourage providers, particularly primary care and behavioral health providers, to share relevant information regarding diagnoses, medication, and/or treatment to help improve health outcomes. Your patients must give consent before you share information with other providers. To assist with the sharing of information, there are three associated forms:
- Authorization for Beacon Health Options to Release Confidential Information
- Authorization for Provider to Release Confidential Information to Beacon
- Authorization for Behavioral Health Provider and Primary Care Provider to Share Confidential Information
- Benefits to Sharing Health Information
The Case for Addressing Behavioral Health Issues in a Primary Care Setting
Primary care settings for behavioral health services enhance access. When mental health and substance use disorder treatment is integrated into primary care, people can access services closer to their homes. This, in turn, allows patients to stay in the community and maintain daily activities.
- Delivering mental health services in primary care settings reduces stigma and discrimination.
- Treating common mental disorders in primary care settings is cost-effective.
- The majority of people with mental disorders treated in collaborative primary care have good outcomes, particularly when linked to a network of services at a specialty care level and in the community.
Beacon Health Strategies is a Beacon Health Options company.